Huwebes, Disyembre 25, 2014

Reflection about the meaning of Educational Technology

          I enrolled my second term in Bachelor of Technical Teacher Education last September 12, 2014. When I received the Certificate of Registration (COR), I read it and saw one of my subjects the Educational Technology. Other subjects that include there are familiar to me but Educational Technology relatively new for me and I don’t have much idea about it too.


          During our first meeting, I was excited to know what is Educational Technology all about and what are we going to do since I just had little idea about it. Each one of us was given a chance to talk on what we can say about it or what comes in our mind or what do we want to learn in the subject. Some said that it’s about the new technology that we are going to apply in education. Other said the different strategies that we are going to use through technology. There’s one thing in common, it’s about how are we going to apply technology in education. From the different ideas that I and my classmates shared, I gradually developed an idea. And when our teacher said that we are going to use different tools of technology that can be applied to education, my idea gradually increased. Our teacher introduces an example of audio-visual presentation, the BOLABOLKA. I was really amazed, since it’s my first time to see that, and was happy also because a new idea came to me which I did not know before. It came in my mind that there are things that can be possible because of technology. It’s really amazing. Our teacher also said that we are going to do the Photoshop and photography. I was excited but nervous at the same time for all the works that we are going to do because I am not good in computer. But I said to myself that it is an opportunity to learn something that is far from what I want to do, and I consider it a blessing.

          When you read the words Educational Technology, they are a simple words but it’s hard to give a simple answer that will appropriately explain the meaning of it. It is difficult to relate technology to education. And when the meaning of technology was discussed to us, I was given an opportunity to learn about it. I believed that educational technology was developed through the concept on how students will learn and how they should be taught effectively. Some people experimented tools, materials, equipment, machines, that are very useful in the learning process. These people wanted for other options that bring good results in teaching. They continue to develop new ideas that are useful. By that, educational technology can be a big help to improve the process of learning.




Even before thousand years ago, people had ideas or developed ideas already about how to present something in different ways to make it improved. Many tools were developed, from a simple to a new technology way. People always find ways to make things effective and meaningful. From a CAVE drawings during 30,000 BCE, which only draw basic lines, down to the numbers, figures, papers, manuscript transcription, printing press, and came the audio visual age which includes overhead projector, then followed by the television, then VHS, the computers, the digital age, and to the present age which includes advanced technology. Through these inventions, we can create a good classroom if we are responsible in using all these. I appreciate those people who conducted and continue conducting research and studies which contribute to the concept of educational technology. They are the one who make it possible. I thank them for the efforts and talents they have. Though traditional way of teaching is good, the concept of educational technology is also good because it helps the teacher to do more so that students can learn more. The techniques, knowledge, materials, machines, that bring good results are a big help to the teaching-learning process.

But I do believe that people must be responsible in using technology in all aspects of life. It should come up in a meaningful result. Educational technology can be non-sense if people who are using it are irresponsible. It should be apply properly. The competence and dedication in doing activities are important in the process. No matter how good the technology, the materials are, it is the people or teacher who make our classroom good. All we need is a successful classroom. Educational Technology is a tool only. It is a help for teachers, this will not replace the teachers.


          And the great realization that I get from my teacher is when we use all our senses, more learning can be achieved. I told myself before that I am tired in studying and I realized it’s because I give my effort in my studies and that includes using my senses as I can, to get good grades.

                Today’s world without item like computer or tablet is not acceptable to our growing youth. One cannot leave a child to his/her own devices. We must put him/her into learning situations that he/she can exercise his/her thinking skills by using all the senses as he/she can.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento